In the future, the Identification of the biochemical and molecular factors and related genes linked to the onset and progression of diseases (biomarkers) will guide the choice of therapies and also the segregation of patients who are most likely to benefit from a given therapy. The development of biomarkers for diseases (with a particular focus on cancer and rare diseases) would probably overcome the current limitations in the technologies of genomics and proteomics, and may change the practice of Clinical Medicine, with unforeseen economic consequences.
Prof. Ángel Rodríguez de Lera
David Posada. More info: Phylogenomics
Florentino Fernández Riverola. More info: Bioinformatics
Lines of research:
- Epigenetic changes in diseases.
- Synthesis of epigenetic modulators.
- Pharmacogenomics and pharmacogenetics of diseases.
- New biosensors.
- New tools for biomedical applications.
- Data analysis (genomic/proteomics)